Bijan: The Worst Marketing in the World

I was driving through west LA today when I came across this billboard while waiting at the light.

Bijan the most expensive in the world

For those who can’t see images it reads “Bijan: menswear, jewelery, perfume … the most expensive in the world!”  Why did I snap this picture?  I couldn’t believe the best Bijan could come up with for their slogan/headline was “…the most expensive in the world.”  Here’s a close up on the sign…

Bijan Advertising BillboardLast time I checked we are going through economic meltdown so I would have thought marketers would want to highlight the value or feeling their products bring their customers rather than the price of their goods (Just Do It, The World On Time, etc…)  However, Bijan, being the bold company that they are decided to buck that trend and just focus on the fact that if you buy their products you have just purchased something that is ultra expensive…could be totally useless, but hey you now have yourself an expensive useless Bijan product.  Woohoo!

Well rather than pick on Bijan for their marketing strategy I’ll try to lend a constructive hand by suggesting some other slogans that might work in the same vein:

Bijan…

  • Poor people need not buy
  • The most unattainable for poor people

If those slogans ever end up being their official slogan let this blog post be proof that it started here.

UPDATE

Just to see if they were advertising correctly I decided to do a little fact checking.  Apparently they are lying!  Bijan is not the most expensive in the world.  For my research I looked at women’s perfume.

According to Forbes magazine the world’s most expensive perfume is Imperial Majesty which costs $215,000 a bottle.

The Imperial Majesty PerfumeSo obviously an expensive perfume, but surely something that Bijan could blow out of the water since like their billboard said they are “the most expensive in the world.”  After a brief google search I found that the most expensive bottle of Bijan perfume is… $128!

picture-9The evidence is clear.  Bijan is false advertising.  They are $214,872 short of being the most expensive in the world.  Nice try Bijan, but I don’t think so…

Comments 14

  1. Vmatt wrote:

    OMG! Today I just drove past this same billboard at the intersection Wilshire / Sepulveda Blvd. and I had to do a double take. I couldn’t believe anyone would advertise, “The Most Expensive In the World”. I was sitting at the light heading N. on Sepulveda. The ad was so idiotic I had to take a picture on my camera phone because my friends would never believe me!
    This Bijan guy is sooo out of touch with the world. I’m surprised he didn’t put his face on the billboard like he normally does….

    Posted 24 Feb 2009 at 9:31 pm
  2. ben wrote:

    Yup, that was the exact intersection that I was at when I snapped the photo. I was sitting at the light waiting when I saw that ridiculous ad. I think he knew if he put his face up on there people would probably hunt him down.

    Posted 25 Feb 2009 at 1:10 am
  3. jesse wrote:

    So glad other people are seeing this and not buying into it. As if you could afford to. So lame.

    Posted 26 Feb 2009 at 11:54 am
  4. Laurie wrote:

    I actully would have to disagree! Mr. Bijan has a genius marketing strategy because some people simply seek for the most expensive. It’s what they desire. He has his own customers. Oh and btw ur research is messed up. A $200,000 chinchilla blanket and a $50,000 suit is VERY expensive. He even claims that he is more exclusive then clothes made by Valentino himself. Cologne costs $3000 for 6oz at Bijan and he was the first to make it for men.

    Posted 30 Oct 2009 at 5:27 pm
  5. ben wrote:

    Yeah, I admit I didn’t really do that much research into the Bijan brand. My only point is that while some people may be attracted to the slogan “the most expensive in the world” the fact is that just saying you are the most expensive doesn’t say much about the brand itself…just because something is expensive doesn’t mean it’s good.

    Posted 02 Nov 2009 at 5:43 pm
  6. Abhishek Desai wrote:

    I guess the tried to apply luxury/status as “the” element in their marketing strategy….which undoubtedly works with (ahem!) the so called creme de la creme. And with such a strategy I guess their target audience is bound to be the same. Such shops can be a disgrace in the face of the poor. But aren’t even 5-star hotels. (That’s another thing that the sign board makes it obvious) But Bijan has money and people are ready to spend or rather should I say “Waste”!

    Posted 05 Nov 2009 at 9:40 am
  7. Abhishek Desai wrote:

    And you are truly correct when you say that “Just because it’s expensive doesn’t mean it has to be good”. But believe it or not many people have a habit of asking for the most expensive than asking for features or functionality et cetera.

    Posted 05 Nov 2009 at 9:43 am
  8. Laurie wrote:

    I did some more research and I did in fact find out he makes about 20 million a year. That shows his marketing does in fact work.

    Posted 05 Nov 2009 at 5:26 pm
  9. Nic B. wrote:

    I think that when it says “Most expensive in the word”, It means the store, not necessarily the perfume alone. Like Laurie pointed out, the Bijan store itself is very expensive, catering to 10% of the wealthiest 1% of the world as Mr. Bijan likes to point out himself. I think that through this ad, Mr. Bijan is trying to show customers that by purchasing a bottle of Bijan Perfume, they are sampling the life of a Bijan Customer who spends millions during his shopping sprees in Bijan.

    Posted 13 Nov 2010 at 5:14 pm
  10. dogg wrote:

    hey yo!who ever you are but if you just take a look at this advert it says that MOST EXPENSIVE IN THE WORLD not the perfume but the boutique! and its not for you or people like you!

    Posted 18 Feb 2011 at 5:19 pm
  11. sara wrote:

    you guys should do some research before thinking that he is an average guy trying to boost sales by this marketing. He dresses the most powerful men in the world, has the most expensive store in the world and his store on Rodeo Dr. is the only one by appointment only. His marketing is right on. Try using Google to do some research.

    Posted 18 Apr 2011 at 11:04 am
  12. ben wrote:

    You may have a point there. But I’m not one of the 1 out of 1000000000 people he’s targeting. I still think his billboards are obnoxious. But if it works it works…

    Posted 22 May 2011 at 12:33 pm
  13. Armenian wrote:

    You people will never get your hands on the items, its targeted for the rich at one visit a customer dropped 12 mill, its just like organic food you want to know where it came from your gonna have to drop the money.
    R.I.P bijAN

    Posted 02 Jul 2012 at 6:56 pm
  14. Armenian wrote:

    THEY ARE THE FIRST TO MAKE A MANS PERFUME

    Posted 02 Jul 2012 at 6:57 pm

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *