I Truly Hate Twitter

If you google “I hate Twitter” you’ll find a bunch of results with “I hate Twitter” in the title.  However, if you actually go and read any of these articles they are all liars!  These people don’t really hate Twitter.  Most say stuff like this…

“I hate Twitter because I’m so addicted to it!”

“I hate Twitter because I have no time to vlog anymore”

“I hate Twitter because it’s down all the time”

broccoliThat’s lame.  If you willingly use Twitter then you can’t really hate it because if you really hated it you wouldn’t use it in the first place.  Here’s an example.  I hate Broccoli (I feel like I’m eating trees and I hate the taste). However, you’ll never see me eating broccoli and hear me say “I hate Broccoli because it’s so addictive.”  I stay the hell away from broccoli.   If Broccoli enters a room, I would walk up to Broccoli and punch it in it’s green healthy face.  That’s how much I hate Broccoli.  That’s hatred.

I was looking to find people who really hate Twitter, but instead I found a bunch of posers.

So before I go any further, let me make this clear.  I TRULY hate Twitter…no if’s, and’s, or but’s.

Why I hate Twitter

The natural question to ask is, “Why do you hate Twitter?”

It’s simple, Twitter murdered my family.

thanks-twitter

Ok, so maybe not, but to explain my hatred of Twitter it helps to understand my irrational hatred of things.  Here’s a random list of things I hate in no particular order and why I hate them:

  • Miley Cyrus: That song where she sings “I’m just being Miley” drives me up the wall…and I don’t like the fact that she sounds too manly (maybe this is related to my insecurity issues)
  • Disney Channel: Have you tried watching any of their shows?  Hannah Montana, some other show about some rich twins who own a hotel, etc… They are all crap.  If my kids ever watch that, I’ll punch them in their face…
  • Pocahontas: When I watched the trailer for this movie I saw a talking tree (aka Grandmother Willow), and was like, “What a talking tree?? That’s ridiculous!”  Since then I’ve refused to watch the movie.
  • Broccoli (already mentioned above)

cartmanIf you watch South Park.  I’m kind of like Cartman.  Cartman hates all kinds of random things from Jews to hippies to prostitutes.  Don’t get me wrong, I like Jews, hippies, and even prostitutes (everyone’s got to make a living, right?), but what amuses me so much about Cartman is that he just loves to hate.  In the same way once I latch onto hating something…I don’t want to let go (just like Rose didn’t want to Jack to let go in Titanic).  However, after a little more thought on the subject I’ve been able to break down the main reason I hate Twitter.

I hate hearing about Twitter everyday.

In one day I’ll normally hear Twitter mentioned like a thousand times.   Here are all the places that I normally get Twitter drilled into my skull:

  • On the TV: CNBC (a financial stock reporting tv station)– “You can check out all the great stock tips on our Twitter page at blah blah blah”
  • On the Radio: 102.7 Kiss FM (local LA top 40 radio station)– “Ryan Seacrest here, you can check out all my awesome celebrity dirt by following my Twitter…”
  • On the Toilet: Businessweek Magazine lying around– “Twenty Ways to Boost Your Business with Twitter”
  • At Home: My Mom– “Ben, do you have a Twitter page?”

It’s like that screeching sound you hear when people drag their nails across the chalkboard…that’s what it’s like every time I hear people mention Twitter.  Something is definitely wrong when even my parent’s know about Twitter!  So part of my hatred for Twitter is because I hear about it all the time, but the bigger picture is that I just hate things that become extremely popular seemingly overnight.  It’s like a phobia of mine.  To better illustrate this i created this graph of My Hatred of Twitter:

graph-of-my-hatred-of-twitter

The graph is pretty simple.  The more I hear about Twitter the more I hate it.  When Twitter first came out, I was cool with it because no one was talking about it.  About six months ago, I started noticing a few more people talking about it, mildly annoying, but bearable.  Now complete strangers come up to me and say “You need to be on Twitter,”  it has passed from Annoying to Full on Hatred.

Here’s the funny thing, I’ve known about Twitter since they first came out.   I thought it was a very interesting product/idea when they first came out.  I thought it was cool that you could send updates from you cell phone to your Twitter account all for free.  I even went out of my way to learn all I could about Twitter.  I read interviewers with the founders, read about their software architecture, and even told other people how I thought it was a cool product.  But I never thought it would be as popular as it is today.  And it’s because it’s become so popular that I’ve developed my hatred for it.

Things always worry me when people act super crazy about them.  I take a very cynical view of mankind.  I think once everyone starts doing something there is cause to worry.  It’s like how Spider Man has Spidey Senses when danger is around, when everyone starts doing something or talking about it alarms go off in my head…to stay away.  I’ll call this power Lemmy Senses (named in honor of those adorable Lemmings).  Here are examples where my Lemmy Senses went off and I stayed away until it was safe:

  • The Macarena Dance: The younger Millenial generation might not have been old enough to experience this “phenomenon,” but I remember how it was all the rage.  That ludicrous dance and music.  Once the music came on it was like moths to a flame…everyone to the dance floor.  I steered clear.
  • The Atkins Diet: It seemed at one point everyone was talking about the Atkins diet… Oprah was even on it and even Fast Food restaurants had Atkins friendly menu items.  It was the thing to be on if you wanted to lose weight.  I saw people lose a ton of weight fast…only to gain back just as fast.  But then out of nowhere it just died.
  • Nazis and Hitler: This before my time (and country) but if you think about it Hitler managed to convince people that it was OK to exterminate Jewish people.  It was the “in” thing to do.

Ok, so comparing Twitter to Nazis and Hitler is a little extreme, but the point of all this is that the reason I get weirded-out by Twitter is I feel most super popular things don’t last and sometimes people die because of them.  But I’m starting to digress, let me continue back on some other reasons why I hate Twitter.

Other Reasons for Hating Twitter

This post is starting to get a little long…so I’ll rapid fire the rest of my  reasons for hating Twitter.  I hate Twitter because …

People talk about it like it’s the next greatest thing … like it’s the Second coming of Jesus great.  “Twitter is so awesome like I can get so much feedback from all of my followers blah blah blah”  Will Twitter wash my car for me?  Will it wipe my butt?  If Twitter did that I might like it better.

twitter-washing

If Twitter washed my car, I'd like it more...

It’s a waste of time. People talk about how great Twitter is because they only allow you to put in 140 characters for each “Tweet” which makes people be more concise and only say things that are “valuable.”  Sure that might be true, but if you are spending a lot of time responding and updating then it eats up just as much time as it would if it wasn’t 140 characters.   People will also argue that it’s valuable to get feedback and discover new things before anyone else does, but is that really more valuable than the loss in productivity?  Actually you know what would be faster?

Tweet without typing...Twitter's newest feature!

Tweet without typing...Twitter's newest feature!

Just stick electrodes in my head and stream all my thoughts to Twitter…that way it wouldn’t take up any time.  Twitter should look into that feature.

The Lingo and Jargon.   Like all “cool” things Twitter has to have it’s own language: Tweets, Fail Whale, Twittering, Twitwits, Twatted, Twitterfic, Tweetarded, etc…  To an outsider it’s pretty overwhelming to look at something like this:

example-tweetI mean what the hell is that?  I see “RT” is that Real Time?  When I see an @ sign I think of email address, so @pinkheels must be someone’s email addresses?  “14 Tips to Deal with Conflict” I understand because it’s English.  Then there is some link to a website called “Tiny Url” following it which I can only assume must be a link to these 14 Tips.  Later on it says this is from some user called TweetDeck.  Putting this all togther I can only assume that TweetDeck is telling me that he/she will be real time emailing to someone at the email address @pinkheels about 14 Tips to Deal with Conflict.  Awesome to know!  Thanks!

I didn’t come up with the idea myself!  Yeah, I’m just plain jealous I didn’t come up with Twitter.

Conclusion

So there you have it.  I have said my piece.  I really hate Twitter.

***UPDATE 4/3/09****

I’m happy to report that if you google “I hate twitter” now my post now appear on the first page of google search results.  As of now I’m the 5th result.  Finally someone who hates twitter is on the first page!  I wonder if it can get to number 1?

I also wanted to point out some other guys I found (after a little more digging) who actually hate twitter like I hate twitter:

***UPDATE 4/14/09***

I’m sad to report that I’m no longer on the first page of google for searching “I hate twitter.”  I think my last update screwed up my chances …after I posted that I no longer appeared on any search result.  So my guess is that google punished me for talking poorly about their beloved Twitter.  Yes,  I know technically they haven’t bought twitter yet, but it’s only a matter of time.

In better news if you do google the phrase “I hate twitter so much” I once again show up on the first page of the google search.

***UPDATE 8/18/09***

It’s been an interesting past 4 months in Twitter Hateland.  At my last update I was not even on the first page for “i hate twitter,” but as many of the commenters have let me known, I moved up to the number 2 spot just behind Grayson Davis at OpenSalon.com.  However, on a whim today I decided to search today and was pleasantly surprised by this google search result:

number-1-twitter-hater

That’s right folks.  I’ve made it to the top and can now claim the title of Number 1 Twitter Hater in the World (at least the world according to google).  Thank you all for your twitter hate support.  Without all of you searching, linking, and commenting I could have never gotten to where I am today.  Thank you again!  (Hopefully my reign at number 1 will be long and glorious).

No related posts.

Comments 124

  1. TheRetailDoctor wrote:

    OK this was laugh out loud funny! I posted my own 10 reasons I hate Twitter Tweets at http://bobphibbs.wordpress.com/2009/03/27/things-i-hate-twitter-tweets/ but I didn’t have the humor you do about it all. My favorite is how it is included in every report, “Big storm headed our way – Tweet your observations,” etc. I think it truly IS the next big thing but how can it possibly live up to the hype. Kind of like the X-men sequel last year.

    Posted 03 Apr 2009 at 5:34 am
  2. Another TwitterHater wrote:

    TWITTER is taking the brain out of internet, it is DUMBING UP every human who uses it, it is an advertisers effing paradise!!! I frikkin’ go nuts when I think of how frikkin’ many people added me who only wanted me to buy their goods, ideas, and products. I spent money using Twitter. At the time I THOUGHT that I needed the ‘homemade, gorgeous CARDS’.

    Yes, I bought homemade cards from a random Etsy seller. Oh, and hair bows for my girls. I am completely able to go to the store to buy these items at a cheaper price….but no….

    They only added me to sell their product. Not because they gave a damn what I was doing during the day.

    I will never Twitter again. I would rather watch The Maury Show.

    Posted 03 Apr 2009 at 6:30 am
  3. annie wrote:

    Thanks for the link to your piece. I am still not a Twitter fan despite having made an honest effort to use it. It’s sucks time and though it is a nice way to keep in touch with a few friends and I have met a few more people I wouldn’t have otherwise, if not kept in perspective it takes over my real writing in a way that blogging never did.

    I am merely “a presence” there now. I check in and tweet if moved to do so (usually this is just w/friends). If it is the next big thing, I still haven’t figured out to what end.

    Posted 03 Apr 2009 at 7:14 am
  4. ben wrote:

    Another TwitterHater… You make some interesting points….most of the people I hear using twitters are young people and friends, but I didn’t realize how popular twitter is now with advertisers and business owners. I guess in a down economy people will get as creative as possible…wow, watching the maury show…twitter must have been a really bad experience for you.

    Posted 03 Apr 2009 at 10:43 am
  5. ben wrote:

    Thanks Bob for the comments…You had a much more intelligent discussion on Twitter…mine is just pure hate…

    Posted 03 Apr 2009 at 10:44 am
  6. Ihatetwittertoo wrote:

    Dude.. word.. everything I’ve ever thought about twitter, you’ve summed up nicely here.

    How the hell does facebook status functionality which has no viable business plan to make any money get so much venture capital funding and popularity?

    ..plus, its annoying to hear about.

    Posted 03 Apr 2009 at 10:52 am
  7. ben wrote:

    Well a lot of times these vc guys don’t put their money on the idea or product so much as the people building the product. One of the founders, Evan Williams, built and sold blogger and odeo… It’s popular I think because it fits into people’s ever shortening attention spans (140 characters) and people are vain…they like themselves so much and want to share their “awesomeness” to so many other people…conveniently

    Posted 03 Apr 2009 at 12:03 pm
  8. darryl wrote:

    Awesome post Ben!

    off topic, but i think the atkins diet kinda died cuz atkins died. http://www.snopes.com/medical/doctor/atkins.asp

    Posted 03 Apr 2009 at 12:36 pm
  9. zeninfinity wrote:

    Bravo! I hope twitter dies too! What a waste of time.

    It’s like a out of control high school popularity contest.

    Posted 03 Apr 2009 at 1:52 pm
  10. Carolyn wrote:

    I tried Twitter – and you can “Follow” people. I think it’s creepy and weird. I believe it is the epitome of narcissism. Like, I wish I believed that someone actually cares that I got a cup of coffee, and a minute later put cream in it, and then another few seconds go by and I update you about how much sugar I take in my coffee…who really cares?
    I really don’t want anyone I know to follow me and care about such menial tasks – and if you’re that obsessive, well, good for you!

    I’d rather take a walk down the street and strike up a conversation with a live person, who I might meet for coffee, real-live like, and talk…in full sentences.
    Like, be human. Are you following?

    Posted 04 Apr 2009 at 12:38 pm
  11. your sister wrote:

    wow. I sort of know what twitter is, but actually never cared enough to find out. I can’t believe our mom knows more about this stuff than me. I guess it’s because i’m the only freak in the world without cable television or any consistent access to the internet (i’m trying to improve on that)

    Posted 04 Apr 2009 at 3:48 pm
  12. ben wrote:

    Carolyn, I feel you…it seems now that quality relationships have been replaced by multiple mini relationships at 140 characters a pop. I read somewhere we don’t need to worry about Big Brother watching as as we already are making it easier for them to watch (youtube, stickam) and see what you do (Facebook, twitter). The CIA / FBI just needs to hack in to those accounts and they’d know a lot about a person…

    I guess the definition of human is changing.

    Posted 04 Apr 2009 at 4:06 pm
  13. AnotherTwitterHater wrote:

    Oops! I went all ballistic up there but to be honest, I felt taken advantage of…therefore leading to spewing hate everywhere I go. Sorry.

    I like what zeninfinity said…out of control popularity contest…for sure.

    Posted 10 Apr 2009 at 12:47 pm
  14. ben wrote:

    Nah, there’s nothing wrong with Emotion…i’m sure that’s how you felt at the moment. It’s simple though, human nature craves attention and twitter provides a means to an end.

    Posted 10 Apr 2009 at 1:00 pm
  15. jc wrote:

    Twitter is just a tool for marketers to market to other marketers.

    Posted 12 May 2009 at 1:25 pm
  16. sl wrote:

    It Really creeps me out that older people talk about Twitter. I just assume if people on the news and in their 40s and 50s are talking about something, it can’t be that innovative or ‘cool’. It always comes out awkward like they don’t fully understand what they’re talking about, like when your mom says ‘Johnny this dinner I have made is da bomb, foshizzle!’ and you shiver…

    I also don’t see the point. If, for example, I’m looking for stock tips, my first instinct isn’t to look at someone’s glorified txt, I’d rather be reading something more substantial and thought-out.

    Posted 13 May 2009 at 12:56 am
  17. ben wrote:

    Yeah, i feel like people talk about Twitter half the time without really understanding what it is…this is especially true for celebrities or older people like you pointed out. This Twitter “craze” is just more evidence of our attention spans shrinking more and more. As well as our desire for “real-time” results and information now (even if a lot of the times the information is wrong).

    I’m really wondering if this Twitter thing will be here to stay or not. People were all crazy over Myspace in its heyday. Every music artist or radio dj would always “shout out” their myspace url…but now they don’t do it anymore or as much. Or it could be like this Swine flue thing…one week the media is spreading it around like it’s the black plague…and now there’s very little mention of it.

    So maybe this Twitter Flu will leave us alone…

    Posted 13 May 2009 at 11:39 am
  18. wvlovmr wrote:

    Actually what your graph shows is that as twitter grows in popularity, your hatred grows more slowly. But whatever, big red line, right?

    Posted 13 May 2009 at 12:05 pm
  19. Piscine wrote:

    Thanks Ben, you’ve summed it up perfectly…AND you top the search results if you toss out the quotation marks. I am at the point that if I even start to here a ‘tw’ I will bludgeon the person with their own cell phone. If the police come looking for me, I’ll be drowning myself in Walden Pond.

    Posted 21 May 2009 at 9:56 pm
  20. ben wrote:

    Thanks Piscine for pointing out that I am now the top spot on google for the key words, I hate Twitter. I now feel somewhat vindicated. Everyone talks about how great Twitter is and will now when I go to tech talks or meet people they’ll casually throw in their name in their intro as well as their twitter address…for example “Hi, I’m Jon, @imadouche, I’m from California, blah blah blah…”

    When i hear that kind of stuff it makes my ears bleed and a little part of me dies inside…

    Posted 21 May 2009 at 11:01 pm
  21. MARY wrote:

    I Actually like Twitter . I dont see the problem with it

    Posted 16 Jun 2009 at 5:27 am
  22. ben wrote:

    Hi Mary,

    That’s great that you like twitter. Just expressing opinion. I know a lot of people who like it. But as you can read I’m not crazy about it like everyone else in the world seems to be.

    Posted 16 Jun 2009 at 11:45 am
  23. random wrote:

    when you search ‘who hates twitter’ your first :)

    Posted 20 Jun 2009 at 4:24 am
  24. ben wrote:

    HAHA, thanks random…I didn’t even know about that one, thanks for pointing it out. That just made my day :)

    Posted 20 Jun 2009 at 12:15 pm
  25. PRice wrote:

    I hate twitter with a passion,its for people with too much time on their hands..Its for children with ADD that needs something to do at all times so they go on there stupid phones and computers and place stupid updates of stupidty…..www. BaNDTWItteR.com

    Posted 21 Jun 2009 at 10:48 pm
  26. ItoohateTwitter wrote:

    I completely agree with you. Also, as of right now, if you type “I hate Twitter” into Google, you’re second under the Grayson Davis post.

    Posted 01 Jul 2009 at 1:32 am
  27. ben wrote:

    PRice…I worry about the future generations. We really will need electrodes directly plugged into our brains at this rate…people need to learn to stop and smell the roses…and not feel the need to twitter about it.

    Posted 10 Jul 2009 at 2:25 am
  28. ben wrote:

    WooHoo! Thanks for the update ItoohateTwitter. I’m feeling like I’m making something of myself now that I’m number 2.

    Posted 10 Jul 2009 at 2:26 am
  29. Marty wrote:

    Linked to your post on http://www.theantitwitter.com. Great stuff!

    Posted 17 Jul 2009 at 4:19 pm
  30. Sam wrote:

    hilarious, thank you for suming up what many are thinking

    Posted 21 Jul 2009 at 1:28 pm
  31. Hugh wrote:

    I so TOTALLY agree with this post, man, nice work. And yes I found it up near the top in Google.
    Nice

    Posted 29 Jul 2009 at 3:25 pm
  32. ben wrote:

    thanks for the kind words. I’m glad you found me via google at at the top…where all the true haters should be…haha

    Posted 29 Jul 2009 at 4:03 pm
  33. Nick wrote:

    This post made my day.

    Posted 30 Jul 2009 at 6:04 pm
  34. ben wrote:

    Thank you nick, glad I was able to brighten your day with my hatred.

    Posted 30 Jul 2009 at 8:15 pm
  35. Anon wrote:

    Thank you, sir, you’ve contributed to society with this page.

    Posted 02 Aug 2009 at 12:50 am
  36. ben wrote:

    You are welcome Anon. Just trying to make society a little better with my rants.

    Posted 03 Aug 2009 at 12:33 pm
  37. Troy Wright wrote:

    twitter is a tool to dumb down the masses !!
    twitter is a vacuum for obsessive disorder
    twitter is a bridge your friends are jumping off i bet half the people on twitter are only there because someone they know is.
    twitter is a waste of time
    when I here someone talk about twitter i want to punch them in the face.

    Posted 04 Aug 2009 at 9:36 pm
  38. ben wrote:

    I love the Hatred troy…I feel it too…the desire to punch people in their face…haha

    Posted 05 Aug 2009 at 5:17 pm
  39. Troy Wright wrote:

    thanks
    i think this guy has some twitter hatred as well
    http://magazine.nd.edu/news/12013-twittering-your-life-away

    Posted 05 Aug 2009 at 7:22 pm
  40. Alfred M wrote:

    I am a 100% twitter hater. And the same goes for facebook. People who use that excuse for a social life really don’t have a life of their own. Who cares what you’re doing every 10 minutes of the day. People who use it really need to get a life of their own.

    Posted 06 Aug 2009 at 9:59 am
  41. ben wrote:

    I definitely agree with you Alfred that some people get caught up in these Social Networking Distractions. I think once in a while it’s good to see what other people are up to…but like all things it’s best in moderation.

    Posted 06 Aug 2009 at 12:11 pm
  42. LoveLife wrote:

    I am so sick of hearing about Twitter that I actually searched “I hate Twitter” on Google (you are still at #2). It makes me pretty mad that it even had that much influence on me. I hate Twitter because everyone talks about it all the time (he same thing with Facebook). I had no interest in Facebook to begin with but my hatred was solidified when my 76 year old grandma asked me if I had a Facebook page so she could add me as a friend (which I do not nor will I ever). WHAT THE F man. Seriously, everyone who uses Facebook and Twitter: get a life, a real one not a cyber one.

    I love life. I enjoy going outside in the sunshine and fresh air and talking in person to my friends over a nice cold one. And if I miss someone from my past, I will call or e-mail, not stalk them on Facebook and laugh about how much weight they have gained or how ugly your boyfriend is. All my friends do is look up people they used to know and say, “oh my god did you see who is dating who and who is preggers?!”. I seriously hate it. Thank you for helping me realize that I am not alone.

    Posted 13 Aug 2009 at 12:20 pm
  43. Manny wrote:

    OMG OK GUYS I LOVE TWITTER I GET TO TELL EVERYONE THAT I LOVE MY CAT OTHERWISE THEY WOODN’T NO!!!!!!!!!! as a fellow guy in the world get twitter cause its goood! you can tell stuff that they need 2 no like loving cats and wat you did other wise ur hermits

    Posted 26 Aug 2009 at 1:26 am
  44. Icursetwitter wrote:

    Yeah, I hate twitter as much as all of you. I also hate Facebook for its popularity, and I now use myspace (it’s popularity level dropped). I can’t help to realize though that “tw” is also the start of the word “twilight”, which I also hate do its popularity. Why did I have to be born near Forks, Wa? Now all of my family members have went to forks (which is officially a giant advertisement). It makes me sick, twilight ruined forks. Now it says “Welcome, twilight fans!” And everywhere i go it says “dazzled by twilight” and crap. Don’t forget about the twilight burgers, and blood punch. But im off-topic now…

    Posted 27 Aug 2009 at 1:24 pm
  45. ben wrote:

    @lcursetwitter. Don’t get me started on that “Twilight.” That crap is dumbing down the youth. It’s so bad. The writing is bad, the plot is bad…it’s all around bad. But different strokes for different folks. I’m sorry though that you have to deal with all the “Twi-” fans that’s got to be uber annoying.

    Posted 27 Aug 2009 at 2:07 pm
  46. Victoria wrote:

    What a wonderfil blog! We starred you on our website as a ‘noteworthy blog’- hope thats okay. Please feel free to Join our site and spread the word! cheers.

    -Victoria

    Posted 05 Sep 2009 at 12:09 am
  47. Derek D. wrote:

    I see there are others you won’t to see the demise of Twitter, I feel the same as you all, so me and a friend of mine decided to do something about check out stopthetweets.com, join and voice your hatred of Twitter.

    Thanks!

    Posted 05 Sep 2009 at 8:55 am
  48. Angel wrote:

    After reading this I wonder if you hate Twitter after actually trying it, or if you just hate it from all the talk and hype it’s getting.

    I for one, am the latter. I never tried it, doubt I ever will, and I just hate the very idea of it, though I may or may not actually know what it is entirely.

    Nor do I care.

    Kudos to you. Your hate for Twitter has my support! Keep on the hate!

    Posted 08 Sep 2009 at 10:11 am
  49. Angel wrote:

    Oh, I also want to point out that I googled “I hate Twitter” and you were the 2nd result–but I chose to read yours first before Grayson Davis’. It was because of the snippet that showed up, “If you google ‘I hate Twitter’ you’ll find a bunch of results with ‘I hate Twitter’ in the title. However, if you actually go and read any of these articles…”

    This was great literature for me while eating my lunch during work. Another thumbs up for you!

    Posted 08 Sep 2009 at 10:14 am
  50. ben wrote:

    Thanks Angel for the kind words about my hate of twitter. I’m glad you were able to get some amusement out of my “literature” haha. Yeah, I hate the hype…I’m guessing this will be a fad, kind of like friendster or even myspace…even though those two sites are still popular you don’t really here about them in the news anymore…now the news and life in general is dominated by Twitter this, twitter that…

    Posted 08 Sep 2009 at 11:57 am
  51. Jon wrote:

    Can twitter be destroyed? I would like to think so and need help in this feat. I tried searching for “destroy twitter” and only received results about an application for twitter called “Destroy Twitter”. What the hell sense does that make?! I am a huge sports fan that is constantly subjected to information about athletes tweets. Hearing about it was one thing but now ESPN quotes tweets on the scrolling score box at the bottom. Why do they have to mention that it was on whoever’s twitter page. They don’t say when someone was quoted on the phone or at city hall or in their personal diary. Why do they have to tell us that the quote was from twitter. However, today was the day that the proverbial camels back was broken. ESPN scrolled this “I will never be a VICTIM of anything. So when someone lays a hand on me then lies. Its on.” quoting it from Tila Tequila’s twitter account. I’m done with this fad, it’s time to take up arms and go to war.

    DestroyTwitter.org is an unused web page. Unfortunately I do not have the know how to create a web page so I ask of someone here to undertake the task and I will forever be a loyal foot soldier.

    Posted 10 Sep 2009 at 1:18 pm
  52. ben wrote:

    Jon, i read your comment and was like … “what an awesome comment” I agree twitter needs to be destroyed especially when ESPN is quoting from of all people Tila Tequila. What the hell? If I had time I would join you in the destroy twitter crusade…maybe I’ll have to make some time…

    Posted 10 Sep 2009 at 10:52 pm
  53. oldschool2009 wrote:

    Get your Die Twitter Die graphics at http://open.salon.com/blog/oldschool2009/2009/09/11/die_twitter_die

    Posted 11 Sep 2009 at 1:32 am
  54. Troy Wright wrote:

    can you post artwork here? or make it so we can i would love to submit some die twitter stuff on here

    Posted 16 Sep 2009 at 6:44 pm
  55. God wrote:

    It is nice to know i am not alone i wanting to throw myself off a building, or go hide in the woods a thousand miles away from civilization, when ever people talk about Twitter. I don’t even like Myspace or Facebook. To be the entire idea of informing the public masses about my life seems very very pointless. If the world wanted to know about my life, I would have been born in a version of the Truman Show. The truth is the world doesn’t care about my life, or most other peoples who don’t appear in movies, or look good taking their clothes off in public. I certinly don’t want to here about how TwitMiss’s day went in 140 characters or less. Twiter makes you stupid.

    I to hate Twitter…

    God

    Posted 30 Sep 2009 at 6:19 pm
  56. MidNight wrote:

    I hate Twitter, Facebook & all those “social” networking sites too. Social networking. Now, that truly makes me laugh. Although I still haven’t signed up for it personally, I am ANNOYED no end by the countless junk mail I still receive on an almost daily basis by people I don’t KNOW/remember saying that “(I)’ve been added as their friend on Facebook/Twitter/etc.” Gods, if you were TRULY a friend, I’d have all your numbers/adresses/(maybe even social security numbers) AND I WILL meet up with you regularly to catch up, not read about your life in 160 characters online.

    My friends are the people who’d rush over at 2am in the morning if I call ‘em up screaming bloody murder, “I NEED HELP!”

    Twitter/Facebook are for LOSERS.

    (Just needed to get that off my chest.)

    Posted 10 Oct 2009 at 8:09 pm
  57. ben wrote:

    I heard you Midnight…there’s something to be said about keeping in touch with people in person and through a phone call rather than reading a brief blurb about them…granted there are some benefits, but if we’re not careful the day will come where we sit together at a table and talk to each other by texting each other. That will be a sad day.

    Posted 12 Oct 2009 at 3:26 pm
  58. Bern wrote:

    I don’t hate Twitter.

    I fucking DESPISE Twitter!!!

    Posted 13 Oct 2009 at 11:03 am
  59. J.J. wrote:

    Thanks Ben, It’s good to know I’m not the only one sick of Twitter- and facebook for that matter. It’s one big popularity contest. Who cares when I am eating lunch, etc… If they care that much- they must be mental. And don’t get me started on facebook. My sister is on it- and I get to hear the updates of all the popular kids that were in our school- WHO CARES!!!! A bunch of people with a midlife crisis-LOL!!! Sorry- I’m venting! Has anyone seen the new T-shirts with the message “Nice Tweets” on it? WOW!

    Posted 13 Oct 2009 at 9:05 pm
  60. ben wrote:

    I see the point of facebook and to a limited degree twitter…twitter is worse since there is more spam…and facebook does end up sometimes being spammy and like you said a “popularity contest,” but at least with Facebook it’s people I personally know and care about whereas twitter is just a bunch of random crap people share and talk about… I haven’t seen those shirts…keep an eye out for them.

    Posted 14 Oct 2009 at 6:51 pm
  61. the Anti- Tweet wrote:

    Twitter is just plain embarassing. Had a look for myself the other day to catch up on this phenomenon sweeping the nation and to check out some blogs…sorry, ‘Tweets’, and I can now truly say my life is complete. Naturally, I entered ‘masturbation’ into the topic search engine, to find many people sharing the fact they’ve just had a wank over the internet. Brilliant! If anything, this episode taught me that, ultimately, the people that ‘tweet’ on Twitter, are wankers

    Posted 20 Oct 2009 at 8:21 am
  62. jon wrote:

    I reckon that twitter, facebook, and all these sites are masterminded by the Daleks. The aim is to get every single person hooked up with a blue tooth iphone and living off tweets. Some day, they will start tweeting messages out that will make everyone start willingly and unconciously constucting parts of a massiving intergallactic battleship so they can fly off and take over the universe.

    just my thoughts!

    Posted 02 Nov 2009 at 2:13 pm
  63. mr.anderson wrote:

    Man I miss the days when in order to get content to the web you needed some skills…some levels of intelligence…and maybe even need to come up with some message worth reading.

    -I also hate PINGS….wtf…are you that lazy to write a few words about someone else writing…or even thank the author of the content? Next time you at the restaurant you can thank the service crew by saying…Hey I am gonna PING you instead of a tip. (or better yet I will twat about you in return)

    -”Sharing is sexy” social bookmarking….really? Sexy? Have you gone out and met some people? Do you look sexier? How is that gut coming along?…who cares you just shared something and you are sexy.

    - I HATE REGURGITATION of CONTENT….and that is where web x.0 is heading. Imagine having conversation with people where you sit down and just bluntly read the newspaper and leave.

    - Cartman does rock!

    Nice post! :)

    Posted 04 Nov 2009 at 1:29 pm
  64. john wrote:

    Twitter, aaah *puke*, it fucking brainwashes peoples minds into connecting everything to everything, Dude, life doesnt have to have strains attached and leaping information on absolutely everything.

    We loose an important thing in life which is individuality. I Hate MAINSTREAM SOCIALMEDIA ASSHOLES!!!!! lol, sorry!

    I just sold my Iphone also because I hated the hype and couldnt stand the ridicilous phone lying in front of me.

    Im now an owner of a 2002 pre-used samsung model. Love it.

    Social media apps makes me feel like Im living in a small box and I didnt even get to paint the fucking inside… :)

    Posted 07 Nov 2009 at 7:13 pm
  65. Kate wrote:

    Ben I love your hatred of twitter graph! haha

    Posted 09 Nov 2009 at 5:53 am
  66. ben wrote:

    Thanks Kate! I’d love making that graph! haha

    Posted 09 Nov 2009 at 4:34 pm
  67. Waffleego wrote:

    I say we eat blue bird(or any other birds) meat on Twitter’s birthday and make it a holiday. Who’s with me?

    Posted 10 Nov 2009 at 2:09 pm
  68. BiTwitter wrote:

    I think websites’ like Facebook and Myspace are pointless, if you want to make new friends go outside into the real world, its much more fun. And if you want to communicate with existing ones pick up the phone, send an e-mail, text them or even meet them in person.
    I love gaming, so when i found out that Twitter was avaliable on Xbox Live I thought I’ll do abit of research, you know find out what all the hypes about and what everyone is twittering…… tweeting? …twitting? …twatting? oh never mind!
    I admire your hatred of Twitter Ben, very funny and Bob made some very interesting point.
    I’ll give Twitter a go trying only to chirp about interesting things like do fish urinate? And what is the plural for lettuce? Maybe stick in a joke or two.
    Oh and another reason to hate Twitter, the words “twitter” and “tweet” sound so poncey and gay, just hearing those word makes me so enraged i wanna strangle a budgie!

    Posted 17 Nov 2009 at 10:09 pm
  69. Darrin wrote:

    tweets are for birds, not people.
    Glad to see so many who still want to communicate like people, and not get involved in inane short form text dialog.

    Posted 23 Nov 2009 at 12:05 pm
  70. ben wrote:

    Thanks for the comment BiTwitter…I really feel like Twitter is one of those things that will fade away into obscurity. I think it’s really novel now…and it’s probably cool for people to follow celebrities whom before they couldn’t. Though I wouldn’t really care what they said on their tweets, because most likely it’s probably not them tweeting and instead it’s their agent/publicist…then before long once celebrities start using their tweets to endorse products (to make themselves money)…the whole thing will lose more credibility…just my 2 cents.

    Posted 24 Nov 2009 at 4:06 pm
  71. DIAF Twitter wrote:

    Glad to see that I am not alone in my hatred of this form of torture – I love your comparison to nails across a chalkboard.
    It seems more and more traditional forms of the media (news, current affairs) all think it is cool and trendy to say “follow us on Twitter, @utterbollocks”…

    BTW I like broccoli…

    Posted 25 Nov 2009 at 8:17 am
  72. Natalie wrote:

    haha I really like you poster..=) speak your mind haha well, I hate twitter too, because like you EVERYDAY, EVERYSECOND(OMG) at school around friends at home I hear about it.. its disguisting… I GO CRAZY, I hate that evryones on it, like a drug=) hahahaha! well.. I dont REALLY have goood reasons but YEAH I hate it!! I proudly say I’m one of the few who dont fucking twitter!! haha

    Posted 26 Nov 2009 at 5:16 pm
  73. frank wrote:

    thank you everyone who hates twitter
    nice to know there are still real people outhere

    Posted 28 Nov 2009 at 8:09 pm
  74. ben wrote:

    It seriously has gotten to that point…where a little piece of me dies inside when i hear people keep talking about Twitter like it is the second coming of jesus…

    Posted 02 Dec 2009 at 3:40 pm
  75. adam wrote:

    I really and truly hate twitter as well. The Nazi reference was not very far off either (of course twitter is not going to start mass murdering people, but the idea of “buying in” is right on.)
    $&^%**&)& twitter

    Posted 08 Dec 2009 at 7:38 am
  76. John Madison wrote:

    I hate Twitter because it begins with “Twit.” I hate Twitter because it only compounds the problem of people not interacting in real time, in public. If I’m in a really long line somewhere and I turn and offhandedly mention the weather, the person I’m speaking to cannot believe it. They are usually under 30 and apparently dumbfounded that strangers would speak to them…..Oh god, heaven forbid! And no, I do not appear as a psychopathic person, just a calm, nice guy making chit chat. Yet they are amazed, then turn their heads downward and continue staring at their mobile device. All I can say is “WOW.” And, where the hot happy horse fuck are my pants?

    Posted 13 Dec 2009 at 10:18 am
  77. Barnabas Furth wrote:

    seems to me like the only people who use twitter are the ones who want to seem/appear cool to the younger generation (like me, im 17). But i HATE everyone who does it. The guy on the radio like you said, but also sports reporters and athletes, and celebrities, etc. Fortunately, I DO NOT KNOW A SINGLE PERSON WHO TWEETS. I go to a high school of about 2000 kids in Boston – none of them tweet. No on likes it. It is the most retarded “cool new thing” since before I was aware that such things existed.

    Posted 15 Dec 2009 at 9:30 pm
  78. Rob wrote:

    I must admit that I do use Facebook occasionally, to see pix of what my friends across the country have been up to, but I rarely use the status update. I tried Twitter briefly but found it to be so utterly dull and felt embarrassed to make public information that would otherwise have gone into my diary when I was a kid (anyone else write one of those when they were young?) that I instantly took a dislike to it.

    What I really want to say to Twitter users, though, is: how fucking dare you morons think the world wants to read about the inner workings of a maggot’s arsehole. If you haven’t got anything interesting to say just shut the fuck up instead of having delusions of grandeur.

    There, I said it.

    Posted 21 Dec 2009 at 4:31 am
  79. Tamryn wrote:

    Oh wow, I got such a good laugh out of this. And I really did find you by Googling “why I hate Twitter”. What a breath of fresh air.

    I am totally with you, I seriously despise Twitter and all of the people obsessed with it. It’s just another symptom of our narcissistic, fast food mentality society. Life can’t be condensed to 140 characters or less, people.

    My one consolation is that years from now, it will end up on one of those “I Love the 2000s” shows as an utterly stupid fad to be made fun of, much like bellbottoms or Pogs.

    Posted 22 Dec 2009 at 1:36 pm
  80. ben wrote:

    @barnabas I’m glad to hear teenagers aren’t all wrapped up into Twitter. I had begun to give up our next generation after 1) trying to watch Twilight and 2) the popularity of Hanna MOntana (not even sure if I spelled her name correctly). Anyway, Twitter is one of those thing that “old” people like to promote cause it makes them feel special and cool since they get to say such cool words as “tweet” “follow me,” etc…

    Posted 22 Dec 2009 at 7:11 pm
  81. ben wrote:

    @rob I wasn’t a big fan of facebook (mainly cause I don’t trust how they run things), but the one thing they do well is to let you know what your friends are up without having to go look at everyone’s profile page. It’s people I care about or at least have had some contact with. Twitter on the other hand is trying to become Facebook for the masses…minus the photos and videos…though slowly they are adding these features. Is it useful? Debatable, put I do know that it’s way too annoying for me to try to read someone’s tweets. It’s a stream of consciousness that I don’t give a crap about…the only one I might care about is my own…

    Posted 22 Dec 2009 at 7:14 pm
  82. rio wrote:

    Hahaa… hi ben.. your post was in first page..

    before i search “I hate Twitter” i have deleted my twitter account a minute before…

    hahha… the most annoying thing is the RT

    also updating status using twitter is makes you just like girl writing on here diary… so gilrly… hahha…

    Posted 26 Dec 2009 at 6:49 am
  83. Dan Romero wrote:

    I tested twitter for 2 months. It maybe the worse web creation ever. The people on twitter are certifiable.

    Posted 26 Dec 2009 at 1:47 pm
  84. ben wrote:

    I have a twitter account, but until I can figure out how it can make me millions of dollars I’m not drinking the kool-aid yet.

    Posted 30 Dec 2009 at 6:02 pm
  85. tracy wrote:

    yea i truly hate twitter just the FACT THAT EVERY MOTHER F’ER TALK ABOUT TWITTER MADE ME NOT EVEN GO TO .. Something that is so over talked about..thats is like taking over peoples lives..you see on Tv! every single person old,young,nasty,beautiful,rich, or wutever is talking about it “twiter me” “Do you TWeet” or “twit” wutever it is haha.. i mean wuteva ,forget about it.

    Posted 02 Jan 2010 at 2:03 am
  86. Sparkledoris wrote:

    Brilliant blog post, couldn’t agree more, its dumbing down society and considering the majority of posts are just the rubbish thoughts of somebodys mind rather than the good thoughts…complete waste of time. Facebook is awful too. Happy with real life.

    U.K

    Posted 15 Jan 2010 at 1:30 am
  87. Tore Aurstad wrote:

    I also believe that Twitter is a hyped contemporary product. If you want your followers to see what you are doing right now, do not post it on the internet. We are today so worried to be heard and not exposed enough, that we publish our entire day plan on the Internet, whether it is using Twitter or Facebook. I will not take part in this impersonal ‘Big Brother Sees you’ apocalyptic dark sci-fi futuristic nightmare of exhibitionism proposed in the ’1984′ book. The plans of a person’s daily life is in general a private matter, and should as such, not be exposed to the general public on the Internet. That is just plain dumb and immature, like a kid screaming for attention. ‘Wait look at me. Look what I can do… STUART!!!!!!! …. ‘

    Posted 23 Jan 2010 at 8:51 am
  88. LP wrote:

    I dislike twitter for the reasons you give. I kind of loathe myself for even typing the word twitter, ugh. What makes me really sad is that the logo of a bluebird has leaked out and contaminated ALL other bluebird images. They ruined bluebirds.

    Posted 27 Jan 2010 at 9:23 am
  89. lee wrote:

    I think twitter is so stupid and such a waste of time. I do SEO for people and I am forced to deal with twitter. As a reader I think twitter is ugly as sin and offends my eye with all the stupid hash marks and @ and tinyurl and ugly urls. I hate it.
    I hope it dies as soon as possible. the good news is people get very bored with it and I hope that kills it in the end.

    Posted 02 Feb 2010 at 10:32 pm
  90. pam wrote:

    I loved this. I laughed the whole way through. I have never used Twitter, but I recently tried Google’s Buzz (through Gmail), and I really don’t like how you are basically talking … to no one. People don’t necessarily answer you (e.g., if you comment on something they post), and then they go ahead and keep posting, as if you’re not even there. I hate anything that de-personalizes communication. I don’t know how to feel good continuously posting things about myself while ignoring my friends and family. Like you and many other people posting here, I must be missing the Twitter gene. Yay!

    Posted 21 Feb 2010 at 4:23 am
  91. ben wrote:

    To some degree it’s about getting attention, right? You say something and hope someone responds or you just say it for the sake of saying it. Someone likened tweets and status messages to like opening your door and yelling whatever you wanted to say and seeing if anyone responds… while not a fair comparison… I think it’s pretty close.

    Posted 05 Mar 2010 at 4:54 pm
  92. #1twitterHATER wrote:

    i really hate twitter. i actually tried it a few days ago and they suspended my account!. it is the lamest social network ever

    Posted 10 Mar 2010 at 11:30 am
  93. sky wrote:

    i hate it first since the “tweets are all in abreveated symbols and crap. but mostly i DO NOT give a rats whats happening in your class and whos with you.

    Posted 30 Mar 2010 at 10:35 am
  94. Twitter Shitter wrote:

    Fucking Twitter really is the fucking lowest common denominator of social networking.
    Do i really want to read what Paris Hilton had for breakfast? Do i want to know Some Z list celeb has just eaten lunch?
    Twitter is basically a promotion service for Z list cunts and self deprecating & pretentious cunts who think their views matter.

    Of course it is obvious how Twitter will try and make money, they will simply implement a charge to tweet via your cell phone..lol

    As soon as that happens everyone will stop using it,simple!!!!

    Take fucking Friends-Reunited for example, ITV bought it for a fortune expecting everyone to pay to use it and what happened, everyone went to Facebook which is free LMFAO

    I will be glad when Twitter dies a death, anyone actually remember Myspace? Bebo? No one uses those anymore lol

    Fucking Cunts

    Posted 04 Apr 2010 at 9:48 pm
  95. LucidFox wrote:

    This.

    This in its entirety.

    I hate many things, so many different and diverse things, ranging from misogyny to traffic jams to the Doctor Who episode “Love & Monsters”. But none of these I hate with such passion, such resolve as Twitter, this glorified RSS for the brain-dead.

    It’s like the entire world is gone mad. I hope that it’s just a fad, that it will pass… but if this truly is the communication of tomorrow, then humanity is doomed.

    Posted 15 May 2010 at 2:34 am
  96. Marsiozo wrote:

    I truly hate twitter because its absolutely pointless….I even hate it more because politicians use it and think people are actually interested in their from minute to minute thoughts…….politicians need to do their fukin jobs and work for me and the country…not put their useless thoughts up in the air and on the internet…

    Posted 27 May 2010 at 4:01 am
  97. Guido wrote:

    I HATE TWITTER!!

    And their logo explains! Would you like to live next to a tree full of screeming birds!!??? NO is the anwser. It’s annoying and the only thing it leaves behind is POOP!!!

    Posted 01 Jun 2010 at 9:04 pm
  98. Janessa wrote:

    OMG. Your post made me crack up :) ) I completely understand your hatred towards Twitter…Cause I hate it too. HAHA. All your reasons made total sense!

    I think it’s a completely pointless site. No one freaking cares what you do or think every SINGLE second of the day. I think that people who are on it like 24/7 should go get a life by actually TALKING to people in real time. No offense really.

    Posted 13 Jun 2010 at 4:26 am
  99. Janessa wrote:

    Oh oh. Silly me. I forgot to mention that I think people who do use twitter AND do not privatize their “Tweets” have no business saying that they hate being stalked on the net or complaining that they have no privacy or whatever. In all honesty, I think they deserve it. Any random stranger can simply take note of all their Tweets and make a schedule of their daily life.

    Just my two cents worth :) Great post by the way haha

    Posted 13 Jun 2010 at 4:44 am
  100. Mark wrote:

    I’m so glad I’m not alone in the world of twitter haters. The mere mention of the word makes me want to punch any random small children in the head. I could possibly understand a business using twitter or even a celebrity (because lonely people like to know) but my best friend uses twitter and he’s a boring arse… “jus sin Gordon ramsey lol” GET A LIFE you stupid knob jockey!! would you rather use twitter OR would you rather be thrown naked over a cactus and have a greyhound bus exhaust shoved in your mouth OR would you rather sandpaper the asshole of an alagator in a phone booth? What was that second one again?

    Posted 02 Jul 2010 at 7:32 am
  101. unknown wrote:

    What also makes me mad to the nth power is that blog owners(this blog not included) took the time to create an IMAGE link for their twitter account(and sometimes an rss feed). It is not “artsy”, it’s a dumb fad, and it’s a spam. People that create/pay-someone-with-photoshop-to-make their own twitter logo for a link to their twitter page is a spammer. I’ve seen so much of a gallery of unique(and useless) twitter logo that I have begun to hate birds and the color blue. This is one of the drawbacks of the internet.

    Posted 04 Jul 2010 at 12:45 pm
  102. Veronica wrote:

    Thanks for this nicely put way to describe why I hate twitter too. I hate it mostly because from what I hear, ppl put down when they’re taking a shower and I dislike it.

    Posted 18 Aug 2010 at 7:56 am
  103. john wrote:

    Hilarious! I just dont get Twitter, and Lord Ive tried. Im currently reading quote ‘one of the best books on Twitter’ and I still dont get it. Thanks for making me feel Im not alone. Best post ever.

    Posted 18 Aug 2010 at 1:44 pm
  104. Angery Man wrote:

    Twitter Is Very Lame!

    Posted 24 Aug 2010 at 8:36 pm
  105. nick wrote:

    For the simpleton who feels the need to share their every trivial thought on twitter…nobody cares. Your not that special.

    Posted 27 Aug 2010 at 9:15 pm
  106. Kira Blaskovich wrote:

    I loved your post, and I hope that there are more people out there like you. I just don’t quite understand the need to let everyone know what I’m doing all the time -and I can’t imagine wanting to know what they’re doing either! If someone could just explain this phenomenon to me, I’d really appreciate it. I’m tired of feeling like I am behind the times, just because I believe in a little privacy.

    Posted 18 Sep 2010 at 6:42 pm
  107. Sam wrote:

    omgomgomg

    Posted 18 Sep 2010 at 9:20 pm
  108. td wrote:

    Yeah I hate twitter too – who needs to read banal messages like “good morning everyone” etc… People need to get a life.

    Posted 20 Oct 2010 at 7:52 pm
  109. vert wrote:

    Awesome post, Twitter is dumbing down humanity, just worthless information about worthless people, twitter is for morons who want to know what Ashton Kutcher had for breakfast.

    Posted 22 Oct 2010 at 8:43 am
  110. Gah! wrote:

    Thank you for this! The only thing worse than the word twitter is ‘tweet’… Listen to NPR for five minutes and it is mentioned 123654112510012321123210120 times!

    Posted 01 Nov 2010 at 6:43 am
  111. Twitter my Shitter wrote:

    I FUCKING HATE TWITTER!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Now i have shouted that at the top of my voice i will no of course explain my reasons rationally & concisely.

    Twitter is simply a “tool” for self absorbed, insecure and attention craving cretins to post inane bullshit.
    This is why it is so popular with “celebrities”, They can use Twitter to promote their latest book/film/DV or whatever shit they are trying to promote.

    The fact “celebrities” get loads of adoring followers just goes to reinforce their over bloated egos and delusions of grandeur.

    Take @stephenfry for example, this idiot has over 2 million followers, WHY?
    His daily Tweets involve inane comments with absolutely no relevance to anyone but himself.

    Posted 14 Jan 2011 at 8:40 pm
  112. bruno wrote:

    You rock! Twitter sucks.

    Posted 31 Jan 2011 at 8:58 am
  113. Damo wrote:

    At last I have stumbled across some like minded people! I thought i was the only one who can’t stand the banality that is twitter……. the only thing i can’t work out though is who is more in need of a life – people who ‘tweet’ or people who read them? …..

    Posted 03 Feb 2011 at 6:02 am
  114. Luke wrote:

    Hear, hear! The only useful thing twitter does is enable me to discover events as they’re happening… and with the clutter of crap that most people write, it’s hard to find that.

    Posted 03 Feb 2011 at 8:24 pm
  115. Candie wrote:

    I’m not sure how old the author is but, I thought this blog was too cute. I love to hate twitter as well. We have facebook why do we need more bs to look too LOL.

    Hate On :)

    Posted 12 Feb 2011 at 2:21 am
  116. Nadia Porterfield wrote:

    I couldn’t agree more. It’s the electronic global equivalent of a bunch of old ladies gossiping over the garden fence. Every time I hear a journalist, politician or radio DJ mention the word twitter I can’t help but think, Golgafrincham B ark.

    Posted 16 Feb 2011 at 5:51 pm
  117. Spray wrote:

    You might appreciate this, if not the jaunty synthpop then at least the motivation behind it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojOXo1tbc9s

    Posted 06 Apr 2011 at 2:42 am
  118. ben wrote:

    Great stuff Spray. That thing was hilarious. Right down my alley. Thanks for sharing!

    Posted 06 Apr 2011 at 2:52 pm
  119. Tim wrote:

    I have never, ever, ever used Twitter, and that is the gospel truth. I absolutely hate the way it has cheapened the written word. Sometimes, just sometimes, brevity is not the point. Not everything can, or indeed should, be distilled down to 140 characters. It is pathetic. It is for pathetic sheeple with the attention span of a grape. Not only that, but tweets are utterly incomprehensible gibberish; they read like those lonely hearts ads you get in newspapers: GSOH, etc, but at least those had a point. Those ads are abbreviated to save space, but there is absolutely no damned excuse for Twitter to exist, not on the Internet where digital space is limitless! Texting was bad enough, but Twitter is idiocy on a whole new level, and it really does have to stop.

    Posted 21 May 2011 at 8:48 am
  120. Farty Mc Fart wrote:

    ur fcked man/woman. No one gives a damn about ur personal life and the fact that u hate broccoli. Get a fcking life. I hate twitter aswell but I can give ACTUAL REASONS to why that is so. All u did was blabber on about ur fcking self!!!!!!!!!!

    Posted 20 Jul 2011 at 11:28 pm
  121. ben wrote:

    It seems like you care about my personal life. At least to comment. I’m touched that you care.

    Posted 10 Aug 2011 at 11:58 pm
  122. Casino Artist wrote:

    I love the graph of twitter-hating :)

    Just wanted to make a little note on your take on the Atkins diet and how it “suddenly died” – What I recall happened is that Dr. Atkins died in around the turn of the millenia from heart disease and this pretty much caused all those die-hard atkins fans to not commit to it much longer.

    great post! enjoyed it a bit

    Posted 27 Feb 2012 at 7:43 am
  123. Carolina wrote:

    I hate Twitter as well. I never had a Facebook because the thought makes me sick. I never wanted to be on Twitter, but I was sucked in this year. I follow some of my favorite radio shows and musicians. Some of them have corresponded with me, favorited or retweeted me. I realize it is completely nerdy and pathetic to feel good about that and all it does is exacerbate my mental illness! It gives you a false sense of self worth, it inflates your ego to a certain degree, it definitely puts you in a position to be in a popularity contest and I DESPISE it! I read these comments as inspiration for me to delete my account. In the end, none of it fucking matters and I probably end up making an ass of myself to try to appear witty or interesting. Who cares? And if you don’t have an active social life, it’s really addictive as it gives you the false sense of actually connecting with people. I will delete my account and try to forget it existed. The only thing keeping keeping there is my ego, but at least I admit it. Thankyou for this.

    Posted 10 Aug 2012 at 12:48 pm
  124. jessequinn wrote:

    I’m frequently advised that I NEED to use twitter but….I just can’t. I can’t understand the need to update perfect strangers on the minutiae of what I’m doing/thinking at random moments, and I don’t really care what random strangers are doing/thinking either. 140 char does not a meaningful dialogue make and ‘following’ is not a social bond.
    Wicked article, as are all the comments posted above.

    Posted 02 Mar 2013 at 11:48 am

Trackbacks & Pingbacks 7

  1. From Death by Tweet « Death by Tweet on 10 Aug 2009 at 4:23 pm

    [...] http://www.benjitao.com/2009/04/i-truly-hate-twitter/ [...]

  2. From Swarmforce Blog on 07 Oct 2009 at 8:06 am

    [...] like in the past 6 months I’ve heard several people flat out give up on Twitter. And if your family was murdered by Twitter, you have a valid complaint. Even some big names like Seth Godin, will openly discuss why they [...]

  3. From 101 Reasons Peoples Hate Twitter | Een Rockstar on 14 Oct 2009 at 8:47 am

    [...] I truly hate twitter by Ben [...]

  4. From Jewish Atheist » Blog Archive » “I can’t afford the Twitter.” on 04 Mar 2010 at 3:46 pm

    [...] Twitter seems to be an extremely accurate litmus test that distinguishes Followers from Questioners. One Hater who is also a Questioner is Ben Tao. Ben still seems to harbor a grudging affection for the cyber-affliction, but he is right on when he says, [...]

  5. From Death by Tweet – Irritated by the zeitgeist I am contracted to evangelise on 03 May 2010 at 4:01 pm

    [...] I Truly Hate Twitter [blog] [...]

  6. From random thoughts - Why I Hate Food Trucks on 19 Oct 2011 at 11:05 pm

    [...] with my hate for Twitter I’m gonna add Food Trucks which seem to be all the rage these days to my hate list. [...]

  7. From Presidential Debates & #Slutty Girl Problems « Every Student Must Kount on 29 Nov 2012 at 9:36 am

    [...] special. I also see some people admitting they hate Twitter too, although I am skeptic of their reasoning. They hate it because it’s so “addictive” and “because it’s always down”, while I hate [...]

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *