Susan Boyle Proves Ugly People Have Talent

susan-boyle-unemployed

The latest internet rage is a video clip from reality show Britain’s Got Talent featuring the singing audition of Susan Boyle.  I would embed the video here, but seems like most of the videos have disabled embedding so follow this link to watch the video.  What’s the big deal?  What makes this audition so much more special than any of the other auditions for the show?  I’ll sum it up.  This video features an ugly woman was actually talented at something!  I know can you believe it?  A non-attractive woman was actually good at singing.   Everyone knows that if a woman is supposed to be a good singer that they have at least look good.  What is the world coming to??

Seriously though, while this video was “inspiring” it mainly made me angry.  I was impressed by Susan’s singing talent, but I was pissed off by the fickleness of the audience and judges.  One moment they are staring at her like she’s the Black Plague and the next moment they are standing on their feet cheering and clapping like she’s the Messiah.  All in the span of about 15 seconds–the moment she opened her mouth and the audience realized that she could sing.  The whole video made me hate people more than usual.

The editors and producers of the show know that in order to make the audience think she’s even worse than she really is they have to make her look really bad (this way you’ll be even more shocked when she can sing).  In the clip’s introduction they show this lovely camera shot of Susan stuffing her face with a sandwich.

susan-boyle-eating-a-sandwich

Ugly people can't sing if they are busy eating sandwiches

Next we learn some more fun facts about Susan, all of which make her seem more pathetic and sad.   We learn 1) she’s old 47 (old people don’t have talent!) 2) she’s not married and has never been kissed (so sad) and  3)  She lives alone with her cat, Pebbles (even more sad).  At this point in the video you just pray she’s talented at something…

susan-boyle-lives-alone

I'm sure Pebbles still loves you for who you are

Once she walks on stage it’s pretty funny watching the audience and judges reaction.   At one point while she’s trying to describe the town that’s she from you hear condescending laughter and even a sarcastic wolf whistle–the kind people normally reserve for very attractive women as they walk by.  When asked her age to which she responded “47″ Simon gave her this wonderful look.

47?  That's like ancient...you can't be talented!

47? That's like ancient...you can't be talented!

It should be noted that Simon himself is 49, 2 years older than Susan.  If things don’t workout between Simon and his wife, who knows, maybe Susan could be his mistress.  Anyway,  luckily Susan has a pretty upbeat personality handled his disgust gracefully.  She even threw in a little hip wiggling action to show Simon how sexual she potentially could be.  However, this didn’t seem to impress the other judge on the show, Piers.  This was his reaction.

Piers doesn't like Susan's sexual dance

Piers doesn't like Susan's sexual dance

But the hate and disgust is not just reserved for the judges.  When she shares that her dream is to become a professional singer even the audience has an opinion about that.  Especially this young woman.

"OMG! There's no way you can be a singer"

"OMG! There's no way you can be a singer"

The third judge, Amanda, upon hearing that Susan will be singing “I Dreamed a Dream” just looks utterly clueless.

"I'm so confused, why is someone unattractive on stage?"

"I'm so confused, why is someone unattractive on stage?"

By this point the show’s producers have established the fact that there’s no way she can be talented.  However, since we have her on stage might as well let her sing and get it over with.  This way we can get to the more attractive people.  So she starts singing and look the reactions now.  No sooner after the Susan sings the second note in tune we get this…

wow-susan-can-sing

Holy sh*t, IT can sing! Inconceivable!!

Now that the audience realizes that she does have talent and they have been tricked by her unattractive looks they stand up and approvingly cheer for her.  Just like people cheer for the underdog, longshot, or person who has no chance.

We support you now because we underestimated you

We support you now because we underestimated you

Even more annoying are the two obnoxious hosts who stand behind the curtain, I think their names are Ant and Dec.  At one point one of them remarks “You didn’t expect that did you? Did you? No” and then a little later into her song he enthusiastically remarks “WOW!  Look at THAT!”  It’s really what he isn’t saying that bother me.  Both statements imply that he didn’t expect her to be a good singer because she’s ugly.  I mean why else would he have to assume she was a bad singer?

Anyway it’s pretty interesting to see how people react in this video.  It really does make me hate people more…I mean why did everyone immediately assume she was going to be a bad singer?  If you really think about it it’s probably true that more unattractive people are better singers than attractive people.  And then what was up with their totally over-the-top support of her when they discovered she could sing?  It seems like a sympathy cheer…because they felt bad for doubting her they had to over compensate by putting extra effort into their cheering and support for her.  Even the clueless judge, Amanda, mentions how “everyone was against you…” but she never explicitly stated the reason why everyone was against her.  Was it because she stuffs her face with sandwiches?  Or the fact that she’s never been married?  Nope, it’s because she was ugly and we assumed she couldn’t sing.

I read this article talking about the Susan Boyle phenomenon and she summed it up perfectly in her title, “It wasn’t singer Susan Boyle who was ugly on Britain’s Got Talent so much as our reaction to her.”

I should just create a show.  I’ll call it Ugly People Got Talent Too…I’ll be rich!  People would be on their feet cheering left and right non-stop.

ugly-people-got-talent-too

No related posts.

Comments 15

  1. dj wrote:

    don’t have to create the show. I think we have enough IT guys who are the show.

    Posted 16 Apr 2009 at 9:53 am
  2. ben wrote:

    Haha,…that is pretty funny dj…I never thought of it that way…

    Posted 16 Apr 2009 at 11:00 am
  3. Nat wrote:

    I thought those people in the crowd were pretty horrible as well. I for one didn’t doubt her because 1) wasn’t Paul Potts the male version of Susan Boyle? don’t people learn? 2) Someone emailed me the link and I doubt someone was sending me a crash and burn performance.

    Posted 17 Apr 2009 at 5:36 pm
  4. ben wrote:

    I think the media is part of the problem. The requirement to be a successful female singer is that you have to be attractive…so because of this I think people have started to equate beauty and talent. Even though there are plenty of cases where this isn’t true. I hate people.

    Posted 17 Apr 2009 at 5:58 pm
  5. Random Guy wrote:

    While it’s true that it’s pretty obvious that ugly people have talent and to expect otherwise simply because someone is ugly is absurd, it’s equally as obvious that people are irrational and biased. Specifically, it’s obvious that people carry around distasteful biases like associating beauty with singing talent, and therefore associating ugliness with a lack thereof. So as much as people jumped to the conclusion that Susan Boyle had nothing to offer, you are jumping to the conclusion, from rather obvious premises (that people are biased), people as a whole are hate-worthy. This doesn’t follow. People are flawed and imperfect, and it’s not sufficient to judge an entire person or group of people hate-worthy because of a single, particular instance of bias. Not that hate could ever be a rational conclusion, perhaps, a better description these people are “morally bankrupt,” which still can not be conclude for the same reasons.

    Posted 14 Oct 2009 at 12:22 am
  6. ben wrote:

    You are correct, Random Guy, that I am jumping to the conclusion that people overall are hate worthy because of their actions on this show…what bothers me the most about this whole incident is that it continues to perpetuate the stereotype that ugly people do not have talent and if one does happen to have talent then it is a rarity and must be cherished. That’s bs… while the show doesn’t overtly make the association it’s the underlying message which slowly brainwashes people…

    Posted 14 Oct 2009 at 6:49 pm
  7. kim kanahele wrote:

    This is a very interesting article that you wrote . Actually though , Susan Boyle is not ugly . She has a nice small nose and pretty eyes . Attractive people can be physically attractive from age 40 to 100 , which doesn’t make her all that old . Look at Sarah in the Bible . Thank you for writing the article .
    And I agree with you , those hosts behind the curtains just seem plain silly . Thank you for posting this article .

    Posted 04 Nov 2009 at 2:08 am
  8. Rob wrote:

    Although I’m in the UK I’m afraid I couldn’t face watching this show. It’s just not my thing. However, even if I did like what was going on on-stage, I wouldn’t be able to tolerate the judges, who are two-faced nauseating bastards. Piers is Piers Morgan. He used to be the editor of a daily tabloid newspaper here in the UK called the Daily Mirror – he published photos of British soldiers abusing Iraqis. Photos that had been faked. There was a pretty big outcry about it and he was disgraced and sacked. But, as you can see above, he seems to have risen to the surface again (as scum tends to do) and is now all over our screens, magazines and papers again. No doubt he also Tweets on a regular basis, too.

    Posted 21 Dec 2009 at 4:49 am
  9. ben wrote:

    @Rob I always wonder if the judges are putting on a “show” just for the sake of the show…but it sounds like Piers really is just a plain asshole. It’s sad that they get to make reappearances…hopefully he disappears again…

    Posted 22 Dec 2009 at 7:20 pm
  10. FrankieBumbai wrote:

    1 Harvard and 1 U.C. Riverside studies show that ugly people actually can’t sing as good as attractive people. The reaction by the crowd and the judges were well deserved. These studies show that unattractive people like Susan Boyle usually not only do NOT sing well, but they are also prone to commit more crimes and have worse personalities in general. They also are less intelligent.

    in 1997, an Oxford study also stated the same facts so because these people sing badly, act badly and are prone to criminal behavior, they deserve to be looked on in disgust and skepticism which is what the crowd and judges did to Susan Boyle.

    So even though Susan Boyle seems to a decent singer for her looks, it is quite surprising. It also wouldn’t be far fetched to say she is a bad person though…

    just stating the facts…

    Posted 20 Sep 2010 at 8:25 pm
  11. Balls of steel wrote:

    Oh yeah don’t forget to add these recent studies to that list,
    studies show that average, normal people, such as ones in the crowd, like that young teenager, are just as stupid as ugly people, and will show more signs of joining in the crowd of bandwagon more than any other type of person.

    Just stating the facts.

    Posted 20 Jul 2011 at 6:13 pm
  12. Stian wrote:

    first of all I get your point and I agree, but if I was in the audience and did not prejudge her I would stand up and cheer anyhow. cause its kind of dumb being the only one that sits..

    Posted 28 Nov 2011 at 6:41 pm
  13. Aurora Hobden wrote:

    Don’t call her ugly. At least she’s beautiful on the inside. You should really get to know people before you judge. Some good looking people may not have talent. Get to know a person before judging them! Don’t just judge out of ignorance!

    Posted 14 Apr 2012 at 8:56 am
  14. ben wrote:

    Perhaps you didn’t realize I was being sarcastic. This post is more a statement on the general public at large than whether Susan Boyle is truly ugly or not. What I find sad is how the viewing public when she came on stage assumed that she wouldn’t be talented…and then were “blown away” that she could actually sing. People have talent regardless if they are attractive, ugly, handicap, etc… but the media and people in general like these “ugly” duckling stories.

    Posted 30 Apr 2012 at 4:37 pm
  15. madison powell wrote:

    she is pretty

    Posted 04 Jan 2013 at 10:24 am

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *